Following the reports, investigators conducted data collection and identified suspected perpetrators.
The Debrecen Police Headquarters is conducting criminal proceedings against two residents of Hajdúhadháza for a well-founded suspicion of theft. According to the data of the investigation, in January and February 2021, 26- and 21-year-old men stole six locked and unlocked bicycles in the area of Debrecen, from streets, staircases and the yard of a family house.
Following the reports, investigators conducted data collection and identified suspected perpetrators. The two men were brought to the Debrecen Police Station on March 4, 2021, and interrogated as suspects. The authority is investigating whether the two persons have committed other crimes of a similar nature.
In order to avoid such and similar cases, the Debrecen Police Headquarters requests that:
- They always lock their bikes, even if they only run into the store or the post office for five minutes!
- Choose strong, thick-chain or U-shaped padlocks to lock your bike!
- If you are forced to leave your bike for an extended period of time, you may want to remove the lamp, water bottle, pump, and anything that can be moved from the bike.
- Also pay attention to what the bike is fastened to when it is locked! Do not lock to easily movable landmarks!
- We recommend that you record the unique identifiers of your bike (e.g., type, frame number, damage, size, color, equipment) and that it is a good idea to take a photo of them. Should trouble occur, this data will help police work, reconnaissance and return the bike to the owner.